Tuesday, July 29, 2008

shake it, uh, baby!

Thanks to some friends who have joined the world of Blogger, I have decided to put The Jerk Store back into business. I know I'm not as faithful as I'd like to be, and well, sure, I have other little blogs running around the Interweb, but I've kinda always had a little soft spot for "TJS" merely on the fact that I am in love with its polka dot background image.

There are some changes since we last spoke, but nothing too earth shattering. Wait. Did I say earth shattering?

Funny, because we just had a 5.4 earthquake about 2 hours ago. I was at school when it happend (yeah, we'll get to that later) and it was pretty much pandemonium around campus. I mean, it was a pretty big earthquake, but it wasn't that big. We've all experienced worst. Does the Northridge quake ring a bell, anybody? That earthquake traumatized the second half of my sophomore year in high school.

Well, anyway, I was on the third floor of Salazar Hall and I was walking out of the building onto the balcony to get to the stairwell. And that's when I heard the loud rumbling. The building actually was moving pretty violently. The girl in front of me slid to her knees because she was so scared. I just held on to the rail and rode it out like it was 1994. Then we all ran down the stairwell and moved to the quad. I saw hundreds of people bust out their cell phones, but we had no cell reception. Then there was a huge announcement that nobody was allowed to leave and could we all turn our cell phones off because nobody was able to get through. That's when we felt the aftershock and this guy that's in my Micro Economics class grabbed my arm and pulled me to the center of the quad. Um, apparently I had been standing next to the new Crime Lab that had about a thousand and one windows. I had no idea I was that close to all that glass.

After about 20 minutes being stuck in the middle of the campus, with the hot sun glaring down all our faces, we finally were allowed to go back to class. So I decided to go to my next class, even though a lot of people were leaving, but what else did I have to do? Absolutely, nothing at all. So I sat in my desk, but then we all got the good news: CLASS WAS CANCELED!! Hi-HO!!!

Sooooo, um, yeah. I'm back in school. Rodney Dangerfield style. Do any of you remember that movie? That used to be one of my favorite movies as a kid. I used to make my mom rent it for me all the time from the Music Plus on Colorado Blvd. next to Foxy's. (the place is now a shoe store.)


But anyway, I digress. I guess that I've actually decided to do something kind of important with my life and well, I've gone back to school to get a Business degree. Why would I do such a thing, you may ask? Hmm...let's see. Well, deep down, I've always known that I needed to learn some other trade that doesn't involve being a professional voyeur. Although, I do really miss working in television... And I'm not saying that I will never go back to that, but I think this might lead to a path that will hopefully lead to some sort of happiness.

And let's face it, my two ultimate goals in life are 1.) starting a cupcake business and 2.) opening up a non-profit animal rescue ranch somewhere near the beach. That sounds possible, right? And what does a Business degree have to do with any of that? Not too sure, but I know that where I was going was in the absolute opposite direction.

Here's to new beginnings!! And now, a clip that 100% demonstrates my life right now:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you're using words like "quad" and "Micro Economics"...I wish I had to guts (and money) to go back to school.

jen. and jamie said...

i am so happy the Jerk Store is open for business once again! (looks like your degree is working already!)

congrats on returning to school. i'll meet you by your locker after class.